Saturday, December 03, 2011

my December

It all started out that evening. It was one of those days like this— holidays and birthdays right around the corner where every kid gets excited just by hearing bells jingling through that bashful winter wind with the exhilarating thoughts of gifts possibly matching one from the never-ending wishlist.

It felt chilly even on a brightly lit sunny day getting excited about putting on his best manner for the upcoming dinner reserved at seven simply because it was not just any dinner. It was the ultimate once in a lifetime sort of dinner for a child at that time!

How much does a small town boy know about exquisite dinners? Definitely not so much about foie gras, caviars, or truffles! Nor about wealthy choices of covetingly desirable a la carte and manly hors d’oeuvres.

It was a single simple turkey dinner for the first time in this one and only established hotel in town back in the days.

I still remember that warmth and that insatiable texture of creamy mushroom soup having been carefully scooped out of the soup bowl not to make a single sound nor drop on the table cloth.

What surrounded the dining table were other handful of tables filled with what seemed at the time to be considered as rare “foreigners” in my eyes where I now am abundantly in the midst of.

So in short, the dinner was good and brief. But only had I realized—it all started out that very evening. What a long way I have come and how that humble holiday dinner gave me this larger-than-life sort of feeling over the course of close to twenty years!

This is a wary reminder of how much I have grown and how much I have come to know. And yet today's knowledge and may be shy tinge of wisdom are mere infants of countless tomorrows.

One other simple fact I couldn't help but notice is that no matter how embarassingly unsubstantial the past events are in the future, what I feel today is haphazardly true for today. And that is what matters in the end.

Salud to life and happy holidays!

No comments: